четверг, 19 марта 2009 г.

Keep tap shut!! Water is money

I enter a shop. The saleswoman is sitting with her hand on her cheek, usual state of idleness. I pay attention to the running water right next to her. After some seconds of looking at each other I say:“The tap is open and the water is running”.Probably she doesn’t expect me to say that and thinking that she has misheard says:“What?”“I say the tap is open and the water is running”.“Uhh… Yes, let it run and get a little bit colder”.I look at her with no reaction.“It won’t go to much waste”,- she hurries to add with a smile and I also reply to it with a slight artificial smile on my lips, making an attempt to admit her argumentation.
Five minutes pass. I can’t find what I look for, but the water is still running. It hasn’t get colder yet. More five minutes. She doesn’t even seem thirsty and the water is still going to waste thumping heavily over the wash-stand. I want to remind her that the water is the coldest already, but I kind of escape making any trouble this time. I simply cast a glance at the tap then the saleswoman and leave.
One may think Armenia is situated on a island in the middle of The Pacific ocean and it possess the whole amount of water surrounding it. This may be also assumed suggested by the huge amount of running water fountains in the city. No, the idea of having water fountains at every corner so that people can quench their thrust is great. This was also noted by one of the participants of “One nation, one culture” festival from Kazakhstan, who said that one may never find such water fountains in Alma-Ata and they have to buy water if they suddenly feel thirsty in the street.
So, they know the price of water and we don’t. Those water fountains also fall in waste as they run day in day out. Meanwhile the solution is simple: installing cock handles and when a person wants to drink, he revolves it and the water runs, then they revolve it back. But, wait. Again this argumentation - the water will not be cold then. Perhaps they’ll be so kind as to devote a little part of their precious time and wait for several seconds for the water to gain the coldness they desire. Someone said “Time is money”, and let me say: water is money as well.
Now I think that we never knew the price of clean running water, whereas most foreigners do, as there are no many countries who are privileged to drink water directly from the tap. Even with the water taxes spiraling upwards Armenians are not used to economizing water and shutting the trap when there’s no need of water, not even mentioning them thinking about economic problems. This drives me only to the idea that we like the noise water makes while falling to waste. Probably some people may have the sensation of being next to a river relishing their lives. Just they have forgotten to put on their swimsuits.
Don’t go deep into that water attraction, you may be drown one day and shut your taps!!! .

By Zarchka http://lifearoundme.wordpress.com/2006/07/11/keep-tap-shut-water-is-money/

Комментариев нет: